Day 5 in St. Johns, Newfoundland

Day 5 in St. Johns, Newfoundland. Enroute icing conditions between Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have me grounded again today. Plus, the 45 day Special Flight Permit that allowed use of the 100 gallon ferry tank in the cabin expired yesterday and it requires a physical inspection by a DAR to renew. Not worth the trouble to renew so spending today removing the system.

Day 4 in Newfoundland

Day 4 in St Johns Newfoundland. VFR morning, ready to go but icing forecasted between here and New Brunswick. Sporty weather here the rest of the day.

YYT [St Johns Intl]
TAF: TAF AMD CYYT 160806Z 1608/1706 22007KT P6SM
FM161400 08010G20KT 1SM -SN BKN007 OVC020
TEMPO 1614/1617 5SM -SN OVC020
FM161700 07035G50KT 1/2SM SN BLSN VV005
BECMG 1622/1624 34040G55KT
FM170200 29025G40KT 3/4SM -SN BLSN VV007

Back to the Pub, will try again tomorrow….

Various photos

Today’s flight from St. John’s, Newfoundland

Today’s flight from St. John’s, Newfoundland cancelled. Wind currently gusting to 46kts. Too windy to open the hangar doors at the FBO and severe turbulance reported at 4,000’.

Got the scoop from Scoop to head to the Murray Premises on George Street. Will try again tomorrow. KAAF on Saturday, maybe…

Passing Mt. Pico

Leg 14 completed

Leg 14 completed: I knew that the leg from Santa Maria, Azores to St. Johns, Newfoundland would be challenging and I was not disappointed. A beautiful flyover of the Azores for sure but crossing a pair of cold fronts resulted in heavy rain for several hours and headwinds up to 50kts at 8,000′. Ground speed dropped to 107kts at one point. So much for west bound tailwinds…. Fortunately the temps stayed around 3C so icing was not an issue until approaching St Johns. Flight time was 10hrs 5mins to cover the 1,450 kt miles. St Johns weather was 600 overcast, 0 degrees C with light rime ice.

If the weather improves a little bit here in Newfoundland tomorrow morning, leg 15 will be underway to Portsmith, NH to clear customs and then the final leg to Apalachicola, FL Friday.

Flight cancelled for today

Today’s flight from CYYT to KPSM cancelled again due to high winds. Try again tomorrow, Dec 16.

Flyover of Majorca

Leg 12: Dec 8th

Departing Rome for Jerez, Spain (change from Madrid) this morning. 6.5 hrs en-route. Urbre Aero here at Rome‘s Urbre Airport is one top notch shop. Oil change, a quick inspection and a complete replacement of the HF system all completed on time, on budget and with a very high degree of personal attention. Many thanks to ASC Manager Carlo Piacentini, Service manager Maria Giovanna Pezzotti, avionics technician Andrea Berti and his father Alberto for a job well done!

Also, many thanks to retired AlItalia Airline Captain and future Earthrounder Urano Simboli. Urano was my personal handler for official Italian affairs and cuisine. He also reduced my trip budget by not allowing me to pay for meals or wine!

© Copyright 2022 - Forgotten Coast Flyers